The Registrar of Vital Statistics in Burlington Township records all marriages, births and deaths that occurred in Burlington Township only. If you are looking for a record of marriage, birth or death that occurred in another municipality, please contact that municipality or visit the New Jersey Vital Statistics Website for more information by clicking HERE.
The responsibilities of the Registrar include handling certified copies, marriage applications and issuing marriage licenses on the basis of applications for the following:
- Birth Certificates
- Death Certificates
- Burial Permits
- Death Certificates
- Marriage Licenses & Certificates
- Civil Unions & Certificates
- Domestic Partnerships & Certificates
- Application for Vital Record
In order to apply for a marriage license where both applicants live in New Jersey, the marriage license must be obtained from the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the municipality where either applicant lives. If one applicant is a non-resident of New Jersey, the license must be obtained from the registrar in the town where the other applicant lives in New Jersey.
If both applicants are non-residents of New Jersey, the license must be obtained from the Registrar of the municipality where the marriage is to be performed and the license is only good for use in that municipality.
A license may not be used outside of New Jersey and a license issued in another State may not be used in New Jersey.
How to Apply for Marriage Licenses
Residents of Burlington Township can schedule an appointment with the Registrar of Vital Statistics by calling the 609-239-5816
Where to Apply for your Marriage
The License application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides.
If neither person lives in New Jersey, then the applicants must apply in the town in New Jersey where the ceremony will take place.
What to Bring When you Apply
Required documents when applying for a marriage license:
- Proof of identity by presenting your driver's license, passport or State/Federal/County or Government ID with address
- Proof of Residency – Photo Driver’s License with current address or one of the following: Utility Bill, Bank Statement, Auto Registration Card, Auto Insurance Card or Tax Returns
- Your social security card or social security number*
- A witness, 18 years of age or older
*Social security number is required by law for U.S. citizens and will be kept confidential.
**$28 fee is now being waived for marriage license applications, effective July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023**
Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Requested additional documents (these documents are helpful, but not required):
- A copy of your birth certificate to establish your parents’ names and related birth information.
- If you are divorced, have had a previous civil union dissolved, domestic partnership terminated or have has a marriage or a civil union annulled, please bring the decree(s) or the annulment documents.
- If your former spouse/civil union or domestic partner is deceased, please bring the death certificate.
Each applicant must supply valid identification that establishes name, age, date of birth and proof of residency. This may be supplied by one or more documents issued by a government agency, such as a certified copy of a birth certificate, driver’s license, military identification, passport or state//county identification card.
The Registrar has Marriage Application Forms. The Application form can also be found on the NJ State website and can be brought in already completed. However, do not sign the Application form ahead of time. It must be signed, under oath, in the presence of the Registrar.
The NJ website where the application can be found is:
Marriage application form REG-77
There is a minimum 72- hour waiting time before a license can be issued. Once issued, the license must be used within 30 days of the pick-up date and is only valid within the state of New Jersey.
Registrar of Vital Statistics
Mary E. Field, RMC/CMR
Phone: (609) 239-5815
Phone: (609) 239-5816
Phone: (609) 239-5817