The Burlington Township “Green Team”, which was established in July 2009 by the Governing Body, is a group of appointed volunteers that will review and evaluate sustainable initiatives and make recommendations to the Mayor & Council regarding the feasibility of implementing these initiatives with the goal of creating a “greener”, more sustainable community that meets the present needs of its citizens without compromising the ability to provide for its future generations.
As such the goals and objectives of the “Green Team” are as follows:
· Recommend sustainable practices in order for Burlington Township to achieve certification as a “sustainable community”.
· Facilitate the education of the Burlington Township community to the benefits of “going green” as a way to achieve a more sustainable future and more efficiently meet our “human” needs.
· Work closely with the Board of Education and youth-based organizations to promote actions and behavior among students and young adults that are consistent with a sustainable vision for the future.
· Identify, recommend and pursue grant opportunities to help fund and defray the costs associated with “green” practices.
· Identify and recommend policies / practices that will provide opportunities for conservation and enhancements in the quality of our natural resources.
· Identify and recommend opportunities for cost savings in energy and natural resource consumption.
SUSTAINABLE JERSEY ™ is a certification program for municipalities in New Jersey that want to go green, save money, and take steps to sustain their quality of life over the long term.